Saturday, September 21, 2013

Birchbox - August 2013

Birchbox is a makeup and beauty subscription box that typically sends 5 samples each month. Four of those samples usually revolve around a central theme, while one is a "beauty extra". This month they teamed up with Ann Taylor with the theme Finishing School, which is all about the details.


The Box: Birchbox

The Cost: $10 a month

The Products: Beauty and lifestyle samples selected by the Birchbox team.

Reward Points: Birchbox has a wonderful rewards program where you get 1 point for every $1 spent in their store (even if you use your points toward a purchase!) and you get 10 points for every product you review from your monthly boxes. For every 100 points you receive, you get $10 in credit on their site. Birchbox also offers extra incentives to earn more points, by making purchases from products that were featured in the boxes that month, etc. Even if you only do the reviews, the points quickly add up!

Outer Pink Box
Box within a box! I love reusing these!
First Look!

Birchbox: Once upon a time, finishing school meant an elegant Swiss academy where a a young lady went to learn the intricacies of high society. While the concept may feel a bit outdated (truth be told, we're more likely to sign up for a night class in Photoshop), we love the idea of zeroing in on the details: from the elegance of a handwritten invitation, to the confidence-boosting power of bright red lipstick.

As proof, that finishing touches are anything but fussy, we collaborated with Ann Taylor to bring you a guide to fall's best accessory trends. Learn how to update your day, night and weekend looks without breaking the bank - and on that note, you'll also fin an exclusive shopping offer just for Birchbox members.

Back of Information Card
Guide and Coupon from Ann Taylor!

Birchbox: We don't have time to spend hours in front of our closets, and we're betting you don't either. That's why we tapped Ann Taylor for help pairing the season's most wearable trends with our favorite wardrobe staples. Just add editor-approved beauty essentials for day, night, and anytime looks that come together in a New York minute (and still get you plenty of compliments).

Ann Taylor: From lip gloss to charm bracelets, finishing touches are the key to any look. That's why we teamed up with Birchbox, our favorite place to discover the newest and best in beauty to create a miniguide to pairing this season's most wearable trends with editor-approved beauty essentials. Products plus accessories - what could be better?

My Box!


ModelCo Party Proof Lipstick - $8

What: A semi-matte lipstick that delivers both hydration and lasting pigment.

I was excited to see this in my box and the color is perfect for me! My only issue though is that

Beauty Extra Bobby Pins - $1.67

What: We designed these patterned pins to add style to summer hair with minimal effort.

These are much bigger than the bobby pins I'm used to using, but they are cute! They pull on my hair a little when removing, but not enough for me to not use them.


Juice Beauty Oil-Free Moisturizer .5 fl oz - $7

What: Oil-free lotion hydrates oily and blemish-prone skin with natural antioxidants and hyaluronic acid.

I normally use moisturizers with an SPF, so I used this at night instead. It has a different feel than most moisturizers I use. It's hard to explain. It's almost sticky without being sticky. Not my favorite product, but it was both lightweight and organic, which is what I look for in moisturizers. I've been wanting to try out the Juice Beauty line for awhile now, so this was a win for me.

Violet Oasis 100% Organic Argan Oil 4 ml - $2.66

What: Star Moraccan import that feeds skin and hair with vitamin E and essential fatty acids.

I was excited to see this product in my box since I use argan oil on my hair on a regular basis. However, a little goes a LONG way with this product. I only used a small amount of the already small sample and my hair looked extremely greasy afterwards. If I hadn't already showered, I would have taken another. It was also hard to distribute with such a small amount, so it remained concentrated on certain areas of my hair. I will be sticking to my usual argan product.


Miss Jessie's Original Rapid Recovery Treatment & Super Sweetback Treatment - $2 approx

What: Nourishing Super Sweetback promotes hair growth, and Rapid Recovery smooths damaged strands. 

The sweetback treatment smelled like banana laffy taffy to me! Since I'm not a fan of banana laffy taffy, I wasn't a fan of this treatment. While both products certainly made my hair soft, I can't attest to whether long-term use promoted hair growth or smoothed damaged strands.

Overall this box had a value of $21.33 and that's not even including the points I earned for reviewing these products!

No comments:

Post a Comment