Thursday, September 12, 2013

Birchbox for CEW Limited Edition - July 2013

Every once in awhile, Birchbox offers a limited edition box for purchase. These boxes are a one time purchase available to both subscribers and non-subscribers. This month they teamed up with CEW to produce two limited edition boxes! Each year CEW Insiders vote for the best drugstore and top-line beauty products and these boxes include some of their picks!

I love the print and color of these boxes!
The Box: Limited Edition Prestige Headliners Birchbox for CEW

The Cost: $18 (If you bought both limited edition boxes, it was only $26 total) 

The Products: Prestige finalists and winners from the 2013 CEW Beauty Awards

Information Card
 

Living Proof Prime Style Extender 1 oz - $6

What: This lab-developed formula uses magic molecule OFPMA to keep your hairstyle going twice as long.

I've been wanting to try this brand, so I was excited to see it in this box! It’s also phthalate, sulfate and paraben free, which is a plus!

IT Cosmetics® Brow Power Universal Brow Pencil - $16 approx (no price given for travel size)

What: A waterproof, nonsmudging brow pencil that nourishes hair follicles. 
How: The harder you press, the darker your line. After penciling in , use the spooley brush for a natural look.

For those wondering how a brow pencil could be universal, I included the how part of the information card for you as well. I actually don't own a brow pencil, so I was happy to see this in my box. Now I just have to get use to using one!

JULEP Essential Cuticle Oil - $18 ($14.40 if you're a Maven)

What: This blend of essential oils and vitamin E strengthens nails and softens cuticles.

I already received this in my starter box from signing up for a Julep Maven subscription, but I'm happy to have a spare!

JULEP Nail Color in Teri (Tropical Coral Pink Crème) - $14 ($11.20 if you're a Maven)

What: Chip-resistant, fast-drying, toxin-free lacquer. We love the on-trend hues and slim packaging.

I recently became a Julep Maven, so I luckily didn't have this color yet and I love the shade! I definitely love Julep's 4-free formula and slim packaging, which makes it easy for storage. I still have issues with chipping on my nails, but I'm rough on my nails and I've had less issues with Julep's formula than others!

Elizabeth Arden PREVAGE® Anti-Aging Triple Defense Shield Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 5 ml - $7.86

What: This SPF corrects past sun damage and fine lines while protecting against environmental stressors.

I love SPF formulas that are lightweight and have a consistency of that of moisturizer rather than an SPF and this definitely fits that bill. However, I sampled a simple product from Clarins in my Sephora Summer Kit that I think I prefer.

LA FRESH® Eco-Beauty Oil-Free Face Cleanser (2 towelettes) - $0.67 for both

What: Oil-free, botanical-infused wipes that remove makeup, dirt and oil in a flash.

I love La Fresh, so these instantly went into my travel bag!

Overall the Prestige box had a value of approx $56.13 (I used Maven pricing for the Julep products, since I am a Maven), which is great! I also got to try new products, which is always a plus.


The Box: Limited Edition Mass Appeal Birchbox for CEW

The Cost: $12 (If you bought both both limited edition boxes, it was only $26 total)

The Products: Mass market finalists and winners from the 2013 CEW Beauty Awards

Information Card


Burt’s Bees® Ultimate Care Hand Cream 50 g  - $7.20

What: Ultranourishing hand cream loaded with baobab and watermelon seed oils.

I love Burt's Bees so I was happy to see this in my box! No artificial fragrances either!

Simple® Revitalizing Eye Roll-On - $10.99

What: A pH-balanced eye serum that perks up tired eyes with cooling cucumber and vitamin B5.

I have a similar product from Yes for blueberries, so I will happily replace it with this British brand when it's gone!

Olay® Pro-X Spot Fading Treatment 7 ml - $12.13

What: A fragrance-free serum that nixes dark spots and discoloration without drying skin.

I get a few dark spots occasionally, so I will definitely use this when I do.

Revlon® Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Precious - $8.99

What: A retractable chubby crayon that delivers intense moisture and shiny, vivid pigment.

I was looking forward to trying this product the most, but I find the color too light. I don't think it shows up well with my tanned skin, nor does it seem to last long. I will try it again during the winter months, but otherwise I'm a little disappointed I didn't get a different shade.

Nivea® A Kiss of Olive Oil & Lemon Moisture Rich Lip Care - $2.99

What: Vitamin E, olive oil, and lemon team up in this delicious-smelling, uncommonly hydrating balm.

This product was alright. I'm not a fan of the taste/smell and I feel like it's one of those products that you have to keep reapplying constantly because your lips feel even more chapped after it dries. I'm a huge fan of Burt's Bees chapstick though, so I find it hard to use any other type of lip moisturizer.

L’Oréal Paris Infallible Eyeshadow in Glistening Garnet - $7.99

What: a 24-hour, waterproof eye shadow that gives you intensely concentrated, shimmery color.

This was another product I was looking forward to trying, but unfortunately I received a red hue, which I don't ever see myself using. I really only wear neutral tones, but I'm willing to use other colors as a eyeliner. Unfortunately I can't see myself using red as an eyeliner either.

Overall the Mass Appeal box had a value of $50.29, which is a great value! While I was slightly disappointed in some of the color variations I received in this box, I'm still glad I purchased both of these boxes!

No comments:

Post a Comment