Saturday, September 21, 2013

Julep Golden Mystery Box - August 2013

This box was only available for Julep Maven subscribers who didn't skip the August Garden Party collection. It was for sale during the secret store that opens on the 1st of each month. If you don't take the monthly box, then you don't have access to the store. Julep doesn't usually offer mystery boxes in their secret store, so I'm guessing it was related to their two-year anniversary which was in August!


The Box: Julep Golden Mystery Box

The Cost: $21 for a one time purchase. This box was $30 originally, but I had a code for 30% off.

The Products: $100-$200 worth of nail and beauty products from Julep

Coupon: If you want to subscribe to their monthly nail and beauty subscription, get your first box free with code FREEBOX (You only have to pay shipping!)

Reasons to Subscribe:
  •  Julep Nail Color is “4-free” and does not contain formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, or DBP
  • Julep donates a portion of the proceeds to organizations that support women through their Powered by Girlfriends program 
  • Being a Julep Maven means you get 20% off everything in their store and free shipping (no code necessary)
  • Mavens can earn jules which can be used on future boxes or add-ons! Mavens earn 300 jules for each full-price maven box they purchase (excludes mystery boxes), 200 on their birthday, 500 on their anniversary month and 750 if they upgrade to the entire collection. You even earn jules for becoming a maven and can redeem these jules on a monthly box (2,000), the entire collection (5,500) or even on add-ons (750 for nail colors, 1200+ for beauty/special products). 
  • Each month you don't skip, you get to shop the secret store on the 1st of each month!
  • Each month you don't skip, you also get entered to win the mystery maven box of goodies, which is usually revealed with the collection on the 20th of each month.

My box!


Hair Ties - $7.20 ($9 if not a Maven)

Seems kind of pricy for hair ties! Especially ones that could be easily made yourself. Either way, I'm happy to see these in my mystery box. I love the mint green and basic black colors.

Julep Everyday SPF Hand Cream SPF 30 - $12.99 on sale ($22.40/$28 originally)

It was a little disappointing to see that this was on sale at the time I received my box (and still is), but I'm always on the search for hand cream with SPF, so I was still happy to see this in my box!

Julep Oxygen Nail Treatment - $14.40 ($18 if not a Maven)

Julep: Complete nail care and make-up all in one bottle. Made with a patented Hexanal formulation, nails are restructured to a stronger, thicker, and smoother condition in just one stroke. Advanced plant stem cell complex provides anti-aging benefits, while ground-breaking oxygen technology forms a nonocclusive film on the nail, proving resistant to water penetration and improving the permeability to oxygen. Results are nails that are structurally stronger, and less prone to breakage and splitting.

I was happy to see this product too! I don't like to wear nail polish to interviews in case it chips, so this will be a perfect alternative. It is also great for those days where my nails just need a little pick me up.

I apologize for the glare!

Julep Fina (Sky Blue Silvery Metallic) - $7.99 on sale ($11.20/$14 originally)

Once again this nail color was on sale and still is. It's now apparent that Julep uses retail value for their value of their mystery boxes even when the products are on sale. This is a color that I haven't decided if I'll wear or not. If I do, it will be a winter color.

Julep Alfre (Royal Metropolitan Purple Metallic) - $11.20 ($14 if not a Maven)

This is another color that I'm not sure I'll wear. I'm just not a metallic person and if I do wear metallic, I usually go for the original shades (gold, sliver, etc.). I may end up giving away both Alfre and Fina. Maybe as a Christmas gift!

Julep January (Tomato Red Crème) - $11.20 ($14 if not a Maven)

Now this color is way more my style. I don't have any bright reds like this, so I'm loving this!

Julep Coco (Oxblood Crème) - $11.20 ($14 if not a Maven)

I was the most excited about this color! I love the shade and in fact I'm wearing it now. It's the perfect fall color and may just be my absolute favorite.

NOTE: This box also came with taffy and I'm guilty of having devoured all of it before taking pictures. :)

Overall this box had a value of $76.18 in terms of Maven and sales pricing. Clearly this is less than the promised $100-200. If you calculate in terms of retail pricing with sales pricing, the value is still less than promised at $89.98. This tells me that Julep valued this box in terms of original retail value, disregarding the fact that some of the items were on sale. The total value then comes out to $111. Personally I think Julep needs to re-approach how they value their mystery boxes. I can understand using retail pricing on mystery boxes that non-Mavens can order as well, but this box was offered to Mavens ONLY. Also, even non-mavens can order Fina and the everyday hand cream for the sales price listed, so there's no reason to consider the original retail value for this box...

Despite their false advertising, I only paid $21 for the box and received $76.18 worth of products, so it was still a good deal. I will use everything except maybe Fina and Alfre, but even those would make good gifts! I will probably grab another if they ever choose to offer a golden mystery box in the secret store again.

No comments:

Post a Comment