The box: Julep Maven
The Cost: $19.99/month with free shipping or $54.99 to upgrade to the entire collection
The Products: Nail and beauty products. Modern Beauty contains only beauty products, It Girl contains only polish, the rest contain both.
Reasons to Subscribe:
- Julep Nail Color is “4-free” and does not contain formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, or DBP
- Julep donates a portion of the proceeds to organizations that support women through their Powered by Girlfriends program
- Being a Julep Maven means you get 20% off everything in their store and free shipping (no code necessary)
- Mavens can earn jules which can be used on future boxes or add-ons! Mavens earn 300 jules for each full-price maven box they purchase (excludes mystery boxes), 200 on their birthday, 500 on their anniversary month and 750 if they upgrade to the entire collection. You even earn jules for becoming a maven and can redeem these jules on a monthly box (2,000), the entire collection (5,500) or even on add-ons (750 for nail colors, 1200+ for beauty/special products).
- Each month you don't skip, you get to shop the secret store on the 1st of each month!
- Each month you don't skip, you also get entered to win the mystery maven box of goodies, which is usually revealed with the collection on the 20th of each month.
Now that Julep uses DHL a lot of Mavens have been complaining about the shipping delays. Boxes typically ship out after the 24th of each month. I received my box on October 1st, so I didn't have to wait long, but I guess some people are still waiting for their boxes?? Crazy!
Kajal Eye Glider & Sharpener - $17.60 ($22 if not a Maven)
I would never pay $17 for an eye pencil, but that's probably because I get more than I need from subscription boxes! I went with Modern Beauty this month mainly because I wanted the mask and because I am completely out of brown eyeliner. I also didn't have a pencil sharpener specifically for eyeliners. I had been using a regular pencil sharpener. Is this bad? I never sharpened pencils in it, just eyeliners...
Either way I actually really like this eyeliner! It's perfect for the smokey eyed look that I usually do. It blends easily and I didn't have any issues with it smudging or running as some reviewers have said. I also use a eye primer, so maybe that makes a difference?
Mask Noir - $25.60 ($32 if not a Maven)
This is another pricy item. I'm not sure if I would pay $25.60 for this, especially seeing how small it is in person! I was expecting it to be in a larger container, but they do list sizes on their site, so that tells me I didn't really look. ;) Either way I like this mask. It's a little difficult to put on in an easy layer though. It starts to peel as I'm applying it. Looking at their reviews online, others have had this issue too, so you have to work quickly! What I love about it is that it actually peels off. This is the first peel-off mask product I've tried that actually does what it advertises. My skin also felt soft afterwards, which is always a plus!
With each box, you also have the option of adding-on three more products for a low price. I usually only add on polishes to get the best deal as polishes are usually only $4.99. This month I went with three add-on polishes!
Anisa (Deep Burgundy Crème) - $11.20 ($14 if not a Maven)
This color is absolutely gorgeous. I think it may be my absolute favorite to date. The pictures don't even do this red justice.
Beatrix (Coal black with Multidimensional Glitter) - $11.20 ($14 if not a Maven)
This polish is actually a clear base with black multidimensional glitter and I love it. I wasn't planning on purchasing this until I saw a photo Julep posted with it used on top of Winona. Then I knew I just had to have it and I was right. :) This polish is so pretty and can be paired as a accent nail with any of my fall polishes.
Oh, and the name Beatrix reminds me of Harry Potter, which means I love it even more. :)
Winona (Buff Greige Crème) - $7.99 sale
I noticed a lot of reviewers didn't care for this color, but I thought it was lovely! Especially paired with Beatrix. This polish had more grey in it than Daria from last month, which was what I was hoping for!
|My nails using Winona and Beatrix! :)|
Bonus item: Candy Corn
I love candy corn and Halloween! :)
Overall this box had a value of $73.59. Seeing how I only paid $34.96, I'd say that's a deal! This may be my favorite month yet! :)