Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Julep Picnic Mystery Box - August 2013

Julep is a nail and beauty subscription company that usually releases a mystery box each month shortly after their monthly boxes have shipped. These boxes are available to both subscribers and non-subscribers as a one time purchase. August's mystery theme was Picnic with a choice between two boxes: the regular box for $24.99 ($50 – $150 worth of products) or the big box for  $39.99 ($120 – $250 worth of products). Each box was also promised an exclusive color, Evie, a raspberry creme with gold shimmer. One lucky winner even received a $1,000 VISA gift card! I'm waiting for the day where that's me! ;) After much debate, I decided to go for the big box AND got 4% cash back through Ebates!



The Box: Julep Big Picnic Mystery Box

The Price: $39.99 (one time purchase)

The Products: Each box promises $120 – $250 worth of Julep products (using retail pricing rather than Maven), including the exclusive color, Evie. One lucky winner received a $1000 VISA gift card!

Coupon: If you want to subscribe to their monthly nail and beauty subscription, get your first box free with code FREEBOX (You only have to pay shipping!)

Reasons to Subscribe:
  •  Julep Nail Color is “4-free” and does not contain formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, or DBP
  • Julep donates a portion of the proceeds to organizations that support women through their Powered by Girlfriends program 
  • Being a Julep Maven means you get 20% off everything in their store and free shipping (no code necessary)
  • Mavens can earn jules which can be used on future boxes or add-ons! Mavens earn 300 jules for each full-price maven box they purchase (excludes mystery boxes), 200 on their birthday, 500 on their anniversary month and 750 if they upgrade to the entire collection. You even earn jules for becoming a maven and can redeem these jules on a monthly box (2,000), the entire collection (5,500) or even on add-ons (750 for nail colors, 1200+ for beauty/special products). 
  • Each month you don't skip, you get to shop the secret store on the 1st of each month!
  • Each month you don't skip, you also get entered to win the mystery maven box of goodies, which is usually revealed with the collection on the 20th of each month.


Julep Paris Jazz Lipstick Trio - $22.40 ($28 if not a Maven)

Charleston: Cranberry lip sheer 
Sweet Lorraine: Bubblegum pink lip sheer 
Lady in Red: Matte crimson lip color

I was so excited to see this in my mystery box! I loved the entire May collection, which was inspired by the roaring twenties, but since I wasn't a subscriber at the time, I had missed out! These also weren't for sale on their website until after this mystery box. I love these so much, I may have to get the New York Trio as well!


Julep Maya (Peachy Pink Seashell, like a Shimmering Pearl) - $7.99

This shade was pretty, but I wasn't overly excited about it. I received a similar looking shade in my Summer Days Mystery Box.

Julep Dianna (Mint Green Crème) - $11.20 ($14 if not a Maven)

This was a duplicate color for me! I bought the Cannes set from their site not too long ago and now I'm kinda wishing I didn't since I've received two of those colors since then! Gorgeous mint shade though!

Julep Gloria (Coral Orange Crème) - $7.99

I wasn't overly excited by this color either. I just don't see myself wearing this shade. I'm going to add it to my trade board though and if it doesn't sell, I'll still be able to gift it!


Julep Catherine (The Original Classic, Go-To Red Crème) - $7.99

These two shades were my favorite in the box! I love this red shade.

Julep Annette (Light Dove Grey Crème) - $7.99

I've been looking into getting a light grey polish and this is it! The only downside is I can tell the polish is older since it almost appears that paint is separating. Nothing a little stirring can't fit though!


Julep Evie (Fresh-Picked Raspberry Crème with Gold Shimmer) - $11.20 ($14 if not a Maven)

This was the exclusive color included in all the mystery boxes this month. I'm not usually a pink polish person, but this a pretty shade that I can see myself wearing!

Julep Vanessa (Opalecent Glitter in a Clear Base) - $7.99

I keep going back and forth on this color. It's seems like it would be pretty glitter for an accent nail over other polishes, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Overall this box had a value of $84.75 or $95.95 using non-maven pricing. Seeing how this box was supposed to have a value between $120 – $250, it's clear that Julep is calculating using original retail value instead of taking into account sale prices. Even in that case the value is $106.40, which is still short of the promised value of at least $120. Either way, I definitely think I got my money's worth at a value of $84.75!

No comments:

Post a Comment